h1

130-kilometer area rid of oil spill–gov’t task force

October 2, 2006

By Lory Ann B. Bilbao
Sunstar Iloilo

SOME 129.59 kilometers of seas in Guimaras affected by an oil spill have been cleaned up, a report of the task force created to oversee rehabilitation efforts in the area said.

Task Force Solar 1 Oil Spill (SOS), also said in its report dated September 29, that the 1,045.26 metric tons of oil debris it has collected were hauled off.

“A total of 134,571 sacks of collected contaminated oil debris–hauled from the affected barangays–were loaded in barges at Cabalagnan Wharf,” the report stated.

In Iloilo, some 94.60 percent of the affected area or 38.42 kilometers were also already cleaned. The volume of debris collected was 61.77 metric tons.

“Five hundred metric tons were already disposed of and delivered to Holcim Philippines thru Barge Carmen last September 21. Loading of sacks of oily debris is still ongoing. Barge Martam and Barge RAS are loaded each with more or less 350 metric tons of oily debris.”

(For the full story, click Task force, Oct. 2, 2006).

———————————————————————————————

NEEDLESS to say, I caution everyone from taking in this report from the government, hook, line and sinker. As has been previously published by some local newspapers, there have been oil spill areas which have been concealed in cement, perhaps as a way of boosting Petron’s cleanup record.

Let’s hope our media colleagues in Iloilo can provide the independent confirmation we need on what the government/Petron lackeys are claiming.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: