h1

Indie filmmaker cries censorship of Guimaras film

October 18, 2006

By Marinel Cruz
Inquirer, Oct. 17, 2006

AN independent filmmaker who was part of the 16-man team that flew to Guimaras Island to shoot short films on the oil spill disaster charged ABC 5 of censorship after the network aired the team’s works last week.

Speaking during the premiere of “Guimaras: Short Films from the Oil Spill” at the digital theater of Robinsons Galleria in Quezon City on Friday, Bacolod-based filmmaker JP Carpio said “specific and key portions of the film involving the residents of Guimaras expressing their honest feelings … were censored.”

Carpio said the censorship “destroys the very reason all the films were made—to help give Guimaras and its people a voice, to help show their perspective.”

Carpio and 15 other filmmakers were invited by the newly formed Independent Filmmakers Cooperative (IFC) to shoot a 10-minute film each to create awareness on the environmental crisis in Western Visayas. Four-minute versions of the movies were aired on ABC 5’s current affairs program “Shorts” on Oct. 8.

According to Carpio, he submitted a six-minute version of his short film “Bunker O: Sumirib” as requested by the show’s production staff. But in an e-mail Carpio sent to friends the day after the airing, he said the four-minute version the network showed “was horribly compromised. [It] was not my film … I disown that film.”

(For the full story, click Indie filmmaker.)

Advertisements

One comment

  1. foul injustice..



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: