h1

Guimaras fishers first in line for compensation

October 26, 2006

By Joel Guinto
INQ7.net, Oct. 26, 2006

FISHERMEN whose livelihoods have been affected by the oil spill off Guimaras province will be the first to receive compensation from an international organization of oil firms, officials said Thursday.

The agreement was reached when Philippine officials met with representatives from the International Oil Pollution Compensation (IOPC) in London earlier this week, officials said.

Defense Secretary and concurrent National Disaster Coordinating Council (NDCC) chairman Avelino Cruz Jr. said an estimated 3,000 to 4,000 fishermen were affected by the spill.

“We will start with the claims of the fishermen,” Office of Civil Defense deputy administrator Anthony Golez told a news conference in Camp Aguinaldo.

“We advise the fishermen to properly prepare their claims,” said Presidential Adviser for Western Visayas Rafael Coscolluela.

Coscolluela said the IOPC could deny excessive claims or those with improper documentation.

(For the full story, click Fishers’ compensation.)

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: