h1

‘No plans to recover debris in barge sinking’ – officials

November 22, 2006

By Joel Guinto
INQ7.net, Nov. 22, 2006

CLAIMING no environmental hazard exists, disaster officials said there are no immediate plans to recover some 600 metric tons of debris recovered in the cleanup of the oil spill that hit Guimaras province that was being ferried by a barge that sank off Misamis Occidental province Monday.

“There are no more toxic substances [in the debris]. They have weathered and dried up under the sun,” Office of Civil Defense deputy administrator Anthony Golez told reporters in Camp Aguinaldo.

“So far, there are no plans to recover [the debris],” he added.

Nonetheless, Golez said the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR), has begun a study to ensure that the oil debris would not adversely affect the waters in the area.

He said no oil sheen has been observed on the surface where the Barge Ras sank late Monday night. The barge was on its way to deliver the last batch of oil debris from Guimaras to the Holcim cement plant in Lugait town, Misamis Oriental province.

(For the rest of the story, click No plans.)

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: